How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Mather Your Own Question
James Mather
James Mather,
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1390
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
James Mather is online now

I was married to my husband years, we are now separated

Customer Question

I was married to my husband for 10 years, we are now separated and at decree nisi stage of a divorce. He moved out the family home 8 months ago. He contributes nothing at all towards the mortgage or running costs of the home. We have a 10 year old daughter together, and I have another 20 year old daughter from a previous relationship. My eldest daughter is studying full time therefore still lives at home.
The problem I have is that my ex has a key to the house and frequently lets himself in, without knocking, if I lock the door, he creates havoc. If I am not in the house, he will go into my bedroom and through all my paperwork. I am aware of this as my eldest daughter has been home, and witnessed this.
He can be extremely abusive and threatening and it is upsetting myself, and my daughters. Can I legally change the locks to regain some privacy and avoid these confrontations?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
How far have the financial negotiations reached?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Clare, thanks for responding. The house is worth £450,000 and we have a mortgage of £189,000. We have yet to come to a financial settlement.
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Have you started on mediation?
Are there any other assets?
has he actually made threats against you or the children?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
We were classed as 'unsuitable' for mediation as it broke down and no agreement can be made. We have no other assets. Yesterday he informed me he will be harassing me and coming to the house every day until I agree to give him £120,000. I was at work, and my eldest daughter locked herself in her room as he has raised his fist to her before as she is intimidated by him.
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
When was the fist raising incident?