How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35065
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My ex husband who now lives in Texas is retiring in the next

This answer was rated:

My ex husband who now lives in Texas is retiring in the next few years my maintenance of £750 will stop what benefits am I able to claim and where from?

Thank you question.
My name is ***** *****
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Why does the Order end then?
What is the exact wording?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I was granted this maintenance order from court in 2008 I think he has rung me to say that he will be stopping paying the order on his retirement. He lives in Texas usa he is 63 now he says he won't have theory to pay me anymore. I need to know what I can claim as apart from DLA I have no income apart from the £750 maintenance m

When does the Court Order say that Maintenance should cease?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It says £750 per Callander month paid monthly in advance during their joint lives or until the petitioner shall remarry or further order

In fact he does have to continue to pay - and if he fails to do so then you can apply to the US courts to enforce it using the REMO procedures detailed here
You can also check your entitlement to benefits here
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you