How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Mather Your Own Question
James Mather
James Mather,
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1390
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
James Mather is online now

when i divorced my husband in 2008 he had all the pension and

Customer Question

when i divorced my husband in 2008 he had all the pension and i signed away rights to our family business, in order to get the whole of my house with an outstanding £75k mortgage,as it turns out my solicitor didn't get the pension investigated properly and the company value was dismissed as it was a financial adviser business with no assets other than his knowledge, completely disregarding the resale value of his client book, at that time he was taking dividends as a salary of £4000 per month and i had found a job paying me £1700 a year. however to cut along story short i only agreed to sign the company away on my solicitors advice if we put a nominal maintenance order on him for £1 per year for me to be able to go back in the future and claim maintenance for me if i fell ill and couldn't look after myself or if our financial positions became far unequal from each other, i don't have any money although i work full time and i cope well, i cannot afford to do things out of the normal, and as the financial business has been successful as it was always going to our positions are not comparable at all, i need to replace my boiler and will need to replace my car at some point and i just cannot see how i'm ever going to be able, my life just isn't what it should be given the 23 years we were married and the support throughout he had from me. he hasn't attempted to pay the £1 a year either although that seems petty i know, how do i ever make this claim on him without any money to pay legal help?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
What income do you each currently have?
How much was the property worth?