How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35067
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

my fiance has just discovered he is the father of another

This answer was rated:

my fiance has just discovered he is the father of another womens child. after a year and a half she agreed to dna test, and he is the father. however my fiance wants both of us to get to know the child together as she is going to be apart of both our lives, but the mother dosent aloud me to see the child. would we have any grounds to stand on to get her to aloud both of us to see the child?

Thank you question.

I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
What contact has he had with the child to date?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Nothing so far, dna test confirmed he was father about week before Christmas, we wanted to wait until new year so we could wrap our heads around this situation and see how it affects our relationship. The mother allows my fiancé to see the child but not me, my fiancé only wants see the child if it's both of us, as it affects both of our lives not just his and theirs

- your fiance has not had any contact with the child to date?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No none at all so far. He tried to go up two weeks ago but she cancelled and then said that I waz not aloud up to see the child it only my fiancé aloud up. So he won't go visit the child unless im aloud to visit along with him

The law says that a child is entitled to contact with both parents and the courts will enforce this if necessary.
On that basis your fiance could apply to the court BUT it is to build his relationship with the child first, and then to become involved at a later date.
i am sorry - but if he does wish to have a relationship with the child then he needs to start contact at a local Contact Centre - then after a few months contact to move on to involve you sometimes, and obviously eventually when there is overnight contact involve you totally.
I am sorry - I know that this is not what you wish to hear but please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you