How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34902
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My partner and I have decided to go our separate ways, we have

Customer Question

My partner and I have decided to go our separate ways, we have a 4 year old son who we will share. We are under the same roof and the property is solely mine, she is making life unbearable and now says she is not moving out. I now intend moving her possessions out and changing the locks on all entrance doors, as this situation is getting worse am I within my rights to evict her ?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.

Thank you question.
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you
On no account should you change the locks and try to evict her in this way as this will allow her to make an immediate application to the court Order allowing her to return to the property and forcing you to leave.
You will need to consider offering her a lump sum to help her with the deposit and first months rent on another property
You can then give her at least two months written notice to leave - at the end of that time you can change the locks IF agreement has been made on how the care of the child is shared between you
Please ask if you need further details