How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKfamsol Your Own Question
UKfamsol, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 560
Experience:  Very experienced specialist family law solicitor, qualifed in 1994
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
UKfamsol is online now

My granddaughter has cancer and will be starting treatment

This answer was rated:

My granddaughter has cancer and will be starting treatment soon. She lives 1 week with mum then 1 week with dad, my son. My son has fallen out with us and will not give me up to date information on my granddaughter. Is there anything that I can do?
and thanks question.

I am sorry to have to tell you that grandparents have no automatic rights to see their grandchildren, or even to obtain any information about their health or welfare.

You can apply to the family court to decide whether or not you should be alllowed to see your granddaughter with or without someone else present, and whether your contact with her should be face-to-face or over the telephone etc. or whether at the very least you can have updates from your son about how she is doing.

Your application would be child arrangements order in form C100.You would need to ask the court in form C2 to make your application, which would be granted if you convinced the court that you had a connection with the children, and that your application would not cause the children significant disruption.

The court would decide your application child arrangements order on the basis of what was best child rather than who (you or your son or your granddaughter's mother) shouted loudest.

However, it is very difficult grandparent to persuade a court that he/she should have contact with a grandchild or information about that child if the natural parent is strongly opposed - because the child's closest relationship is with their parents, especially when the child feels ill, and if the parent is distressed or angry, then that affects the child.

Unfortunately there is no longer any legal aid to cover this type of application to court.

However, you may have more success if you take a softly softly approach. The first step is to try mediation - especially as the family court now requires the parties to have attempted mediation before it will consider an application to court.

Here's where to find a local family law mediator:

I think you may benefit from some face-to-face legal advice. Here's where to find a specialist family law solicitor:

I know this was not what you wanted to hear, but it would be wrong of me to give you faIse hope or be anything other honest about what the legal position is.

I hope this helps anyway and I wish you the best of luck.

Thanks and best wishes...
UKfamsol and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Thanks so much positive rating, speedy payment AND bonus! Much appreciated...
UKfamsol and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you