How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35044
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My husband left me after being happily married years,

This answer was rated:

My husband left me after being happily married for 47 years, having known him fifty years, He left me a note on the kitchen table, saying that he wished to spend the rest of his life apart, and went to live with my best friend,
This was September 23rd 2013in
He is now trying to make me move, sell the house. I run a hairdressing Business in a chalet in the Garden, so would lose my income if I did so, which is very necessary, as although I have some money from property we sold, I have a very small pension, Plus it gives me satisfaction
I do not wish to move, I have worked all my life to give us a good home etc To have to look at house at half the price, is devasting. Have I got to sell?
Thank you for your question.
My name is ***** *****
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How much is the property worth and what other assets are there?
What income do you each have?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

aProperty 400.000 We both have cars, about I have a Renault Scenic value £7000. John has an 06 Reg Jaguar, which he has had from new

john said |I can keep allof the contents inside the house, as he has moved into her large house and provided all that he needs in furniture etc, and is his partner, John has been working at her Florist shop for about five years, and says he dies not get paid , He receives his board and lodging, making out that he is a lodger. which he is not . He works almost full time, My work varies , avaraging an income of £100

plus per week He has some very expensive tools in the shed , which he requires

What savings do you each have?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

vedBefore this happened , We sold some Business property in Ledbury, and John received the proceeds of the shop, which used to be his, and \I had the proceeds from the flat which was in my name ,With John's terrible letter (which was four weeks later) he enclosed £20. 000 to pay my capital gains tax and surplus of £4000 which soon was used for all the jobs around the house and garden, which needed replacing or repairing. This left us with about £130,000 eac

Obviously I have had to use mine to maintain the house, and very large Garden, and mine has been reduced over the 15 months,

John has his and is being provided for, and I assume receiving some money as well as his Board and Lodging., he does not need accomodation etc, as hi has been provided for, and I have had al the expenses involved with the house

How much would a suitable alternative property cost if you did move?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have been looking at property just to get an idea of value, but would need about £250.000 to get some thing decent

Would you be able to work there?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Not without spending 20-30thousand poundsto build a chaletn the garden, including base, plumbing etc, the house is lot smaller than \I am used to would require a gas fire, replace shower for bath

At present I have both shower ensuite Kitchen a lot smaller. My America fridge freezer would not fit, Washing machine andaumble dryer would have togo in garage, Beds and fitments are too large, Marble table too big for conservatory where I dine at present It is good otherwise, but needs a lot of alterations and expense

Could you not use a room in the house for your business?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

\no , only through lounge small kitchen and conservatory Upstairs not suitable, However |I have gone off that premises, although I liked it to start with. I contacted you to see if it was absolutely necessary for me

to move I have heard of 'Methers Law' and wandered if it was possible for me to stay here. It will cost me me more to move than to stay here John has accomodation, and and will have money in his pocket, at present. Can any sale be delayed,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No unsuitable, only a through lounge down stairs, , I have gone off this house, and cannot realistically look until this one is sold, which I do not want to do . this is why I contacted you to see if there was any way round me not selling, I have heard of ,Methers law' How does this work?

I am afraid that the value of the property is so high that there is no doubt that the court would order the sale to release funds to your ex.
However that does not necessarily mean that the equity will be split equally between you - in fact I would expect you to get a larger share to help you rehouse yourself - maybe even 60% - plus a pensions haring order assuming that he has a pension
I am sorry - I know that this is not the news that you wished to hear but it is important that you understand your position
Remember that this will all take time - so you do not need to feel immediately pressured - but in the longer term I am afraid that a move is inevitable
Please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you