How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35049
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My baby father is ordered by the family court to pay

This answer was rated:

My baby father is ordered by the family court to pay for a property for my baby and I. Although I have put forward a 2 bed with a 83 yrs lease he is refusing the purchase. When I put forward a one bed share of freehold he say it too small but the budget he gave us does not reach very far. Shall I take him back to court?
Many Thanks
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first
What figure has the court set as the budget - and on what basis was that figure reached?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


Thank you for your reply. I pursued a claim under the schedule 1 children act and during the FDR hearing we both agreed to a budget of £500000 for a flat in central London. Although I wanted a larger sum around 550-625 000 for a two bed. He got read off all his assets and denied having enough money to purchase a more expensive property although he is claiming over £75000/yr from HMRC as expenses towards interest rates. The FDR hearing was without prejudice so the judge had not seen any supporting financial evidence of my baby father. He also requires that my son should be school at a state school although his other kids are privately school. The properties which I have provided to him are a the catchment areas of really good state school in London. We provided several properties to the court but some how my baby father manged to con the court by bring old printout of on the face of it cheap livable properties which were already sold in other areas of which I has chosen not to live.

Kind regards

I assume that the property will revert to him when your child is 18?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Clare,
Yes, the property will revert back to him when our son turns 21.
Many Thanks
I am afraid that unless you can show that there are NO properties in reasonable areas that you could afford then there is no point in going back to court,
The two properties that you have referred to would not be seen as reasonable investments by the court so you will need to have to look a little harder - and be prepared to compromise on the area a little
I am sorry - I know that this is not what you want to hear - but it is the position that you are in at the moment - although this could change
Please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you