How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34894
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I got married in 2001. My husband walked out suddenly in November

This answer was rated:

I got married in 2001. My husband walked out suddenly in November 2012. When I got married I used the surname Manwaring. This was my step fathers surname I have used since him and my mother got together when I was about 4/5 years of age. I also put him down on marriage certificate as my father.
I didn't even consider the fact that he had never legally adopted me or my name had not been changed by deed poll to his. The name on my birth certificate is Glackin.
When I married I became Griffin.
After my husband left (he has had no contact since he left, so still married) I changed my name back by deed poll to Manwaring.
I have been advised to speak to a solicitor as my marriage may be void as I did not get married in my/a legal name?
Can you please advise
Nicola Manwaring

Thank you question.
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you
Your marriage is valid and notwithstanding the name issue.
You will need to use the name on the marriage certificate within the divorce proceedings
Please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you