How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34902
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I see my 5 yr old son on a regular basis and have done for

This answer was rated:

I see my 5 yr old son on a regular basis and have done past 2yrs. Last month my ex made out my son did not want to see me but I know this was a lie. She had told other people we both know that if I want to see my son I will have to go through court. I choose to ignore this as she has not told me this herself. I went to meet them today as it is my weekend but she did not turn up, when I texted her she replied with , if you want to see your son you can go through mediation , my question is who has to pay service as she is the one who wants it and not me . She is the one stopping me from seeing my son ever reason but will not say. Her new partner has just moved in with her as well and not sure if he has told her to stop mee seeing my son. Any advice will be greatful.

Thank you question.
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you
The law says that a child is entitled to regular contact with both parents and the courts will enforce it if necessary
Since your ex has unilaterally stopped contact you are i am agrid going to have to go through the legal process to restart it - and the starting point is Family mediation
You will each have to pay your own costs of Mediation unless one of you is entitled to legal aid
If Mediation fails then you can apply to the court Child Arrangement Order - and again you will each have to pay your own costs.
Any court application is going to be successful given the circumstances you describe
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
, thank you advice. I have tried to get legal aid but was turned down. Money is so tight and only just manage mortgage and bills , I canno afford any solictiors or mediation bills . Where can I get financial help that I can pay off monthly as I do not have any savings. It's hard not seeing my son and I know he feels the same but I cannot afford the prices I have seen . Until I can sort some way of paying it means longer without seeing my son . Any advice would be greatful. Thank you.

You need only attend the Mediation Information and Assessment meeting - so this need not be expensive.
You can handle the court application yourself