How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35043
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

! I rec'd an email last night from my ex-husbands solicitor

This answer was rated:

I rec'd an email last night from my ex-husbands solicitor with regard to changing the childcare arrangements - which I do not agree with. He is demanding an awful lot in the document and the tone is quite aggressive. Am I able to email it to you? The last paragraph is as follows:
"Our client is hopeful that the difficulties in communication that have arisen between you can now be addressed in a constructive non-confrontation way by agreement. Our client has asked that we emphasise again that he is committed to working with you as a parent in the best interests of the children.
Please note that we have advised our client of his ability to apply to the Court Child Arrangements Order. We wish to make it clear that should it not prove possible to reach a voluntary agreement with regard to future arrangements children we are instructed to make an immediate application to the Court. This should not been seen as an aggressive step, our client is simply committed to ensuring that the children continue to benefit from a close and loving relationship with each of their parents. Both we and our client sincerely ***** ***** course of action will not prove necessary.
You many wish to seek your own independent legal advice regarding the content of this letter and we would encourage you to do so.
Our client is keen to ensure that matters do not become protracted and therefore we would ask to receive a substantive response to this letter within the next 14 days."
I know that you haven't seen the letter but what should I do next? Given the last sentence is this something I have to respond to and how? Is the only way to respond formally through a solicitor? Would happens if I am unable to respond in the next 14 days as requested in the letter?

Thank you question.

I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
When was the last mediation session?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Last mediation session was in September. He raised the same points in the two hour session but he hadn't told me what he was going to raise so it was all new to me. We covered other things in the session but didn't really get much time to talk about the change in childcare arrangements so nothing got resolved. since then I have offered to meet him outside mediation to discuss this and he said no. I offered to sit down and go through the school holidays to discuss who was having the children when and he said no. He said the mediator couldn't mediate at the moment due to her qualifications (don't know the details) so I suggested another mediator and asked him if he wanted any dates from me - this was in January.

Then I suggest that you write a polite letter to his solicitors pointing out that you have been trying to Mediate on these matter since last September - a fact that you will bring to the attention of the court should any precipitate court application be made
Tell them that you look forward to receiving details of his chosen mediator and that you will endeavour to make an appointment as soon as you do receive them
Please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Perfect - thank you.

You are most welcome - I hope all goes well