How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34886
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

my sons ex partner whom he has a child with ,which he has

Customer Question

my sons ex partner whom he has a child with ,which he has doubt is his, will not do a dna test but yet she will not let us have any contact with and is bad mouthing my son and my family all ove social media sites then says it my family who is done all the slandering i have tried to contact her myself with no joy ,i have also messaged her mother who as messaged me back ,which started off well and ended in abuse on ber part im now at my wits end i just want closier on this matter if the child is my sons we what contact and the child need tobe apart of our family if the child turns out not to be y sons we can all move on ,my son is now married. and his wift is expecting a baby in july and want the child to be apart of that if she is my sons daughter but how do we get is ex to do a dna can you help.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.

Thank you question.

I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How old is the child, is your son named on the birth certificate and does he pay child maintenance?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The child is one in march,yes his name is ***** ***** birth certificate, and no he doesn't pay maintenance as he has said that if the child turns out to be his he will gladly pay to support the child but will not give money to pay child that may not be his.

Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.

So he has not heard from the CMS (new CSA)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no,is ex said last may that he would be hearing from them but we havent heard anything, this is what she is like keeps making threats butnever follow them up, she is very clever in what she does very manipulating waits doing things out of other people and upsetting my son then when tere are plenty of people around she makes her move so my son will snap in front of witnesses and everyone feels sorry and paintsmy son in a bad light ,

Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.

The way forward is son to try and discuss matters with her using Family mediation
to try and agree apattern of contact - and an agreement to a DNA test.
If his ex will not co-operate then he needs to apply to the court Child Arrangement Order setting out the time he spends with the child - and a Specific Issue Order DNA test
This is done using the form here
The fee is £215 - and of course he will have to pay DNA testing.
It is important that he goes to mediation looking not just the DNA testing
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

would he be ellagble free dna test if he isn't working or help to pay

Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.

No I am afraid not
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok thankyou help

Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.

You are most welcome - I hope all goes well