How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34905
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I am splitting from my partner and we are living in private

Customer Question

I am splitting from my partner and we are living in private rented accommodation have I got to keep paying half the rent to the end of the agreement.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
When does the Tenancy end, who will live at the property and are there any children involved?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Tenancy ends Dec 15, there are no children involved and my partner can afford to pay the rent.

Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Have you asked the landlord if you can be released from the tenancy agreement?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am doing that today

Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
If the Landlord will not do so then you need to understand that there are two different issues involved.
So far as the Landlord is concerned you will indeed remain "jointly and severally liable" for the rent.
However in the event of non payment the first step will be eviction - and if you are not living there then that is not going to have an immediate effect on you.
Your ex cannot force you to pay your half of the rent if you choose not to do so - and it is your ex who will face losing his or her home
It is in fact unreasonable to expect you to pay for a property you are no longer living in - so resist and pressure to do so
Please ask if you need further details