How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35044
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

my right against my solictors

This answer was rated:

hi, I have received a letter from my soilicitor today stating that my ex wants to know my daughter's gp details and school and dentist. In the past I have refused this as I did not want my ex to know my locality as he had threatened to kill me and I moved counties with police support. my ex's solicitor now are stating that my ex has known my address since august as my solicitor sent it with one of the correspondence in error and yet he has not done anything, since this letter I am totally freaked out and have moved to my mums until I can find another house. I am very annoyed with my solicitor as sensitive information has been given out when I had clearly stated that I don't want him to know my address and it is also in one of the police fwin reports that I feel safe as my ex does not know my address. I am now very scared, I will now have to move addresses and I am very upset with my solicitor, I have paid 11k in my case and to find out they have failed to follow my instructiions, and also al they have offered is an apology when they have actually put me in risk. there error has gven my ex a stronger case as he is saying he has done me no harm but believ that is only because the court case is running and I strongly believe he will harm me. where do I stand with this can I make a claim against my solicitor as I feel my 11k were spent for protection of my family yet the solicitor failed this.

they should have nevr sent my address.

I cant explain my stress and anxiety. my ex is a nasty man.

where do I stand with my soilicitors

I am registered under marak and also the police and safeguarding officer both have found analysis of me being frightened of my ex and I am unsure of his motives against me.

I am really annoyed as I feel my solicitors failed me.

the reason I spent money on solicitors was make sure my case is fought by a professional and the right way. but they failed me they gave my address details, an incorrect enclosure was done and now I am angry my solicitor has written that she recommends I give the details as no harm has been done in the 5 months he has known my address.

I feel cheated by my solicitor.

Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
For clarity - have your solicitors admitted their error?
Who was the address actually sent to and what compensation have your solicitors offered
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes they have admitted their error. the letter from my solicitor states "this is an error on our part and we sincerely apologise"

the correspondence with my address was sent to the family court which clearly disclosed my address. to him

they have offered no compensation but only offeed their sincere apologies.

The statement that angers me is due to their error my address was revealed and in the 5 months my ex has known my address has not done anything they feel under theses circumstances they see no reason why I should continue to withhold my daughters school and gp details.

I am very upset because I feel they are just covering their error.

I do not want to give that information and I have already sorted another address out for me from Monday 16/02.

I cannot live at an address which my ex knows about. I do not feel safe and this has happened due to my soilicitors error and they have admitted there error and just apologized which I feel is not acceptable

sensitive piece of information has been gven out putting me and my kids in danger.

I also feel my I wont receive a fair hearing now as he can put his case forward saying he knows my address and hasn't done anything.

I am very upset

I paid my hard earned money to my solicitor and they failed me

I now no longer want them to deal with my case I have no confidence in my solicitor and I feel my money went to waste.

how can they make such a mistake.

in the past they have emaile dme another persons correspondnace which I notified them and did not make it an issue as I understand mistakes can happen but my address!!! that is a very big mistake I am very very upset.

please advise me where do I stand. I am so stressed

I am registered under marak

my solicitor was clearly aware how scared I am of my ex.

I now have to move address change schools incase he has had me watched.

I am so scared.

previously back in December I went Egypt as soon as my daughter told him we going Egypt he followed us there as I believe he followed us is becoz he had no intention to travel as he was making arrangement to see my daughter at another centre as the original centre did not have space.

I no longe feel safe in my home and am moving on the 16/02 and this is down to an error of my solicitor.

please advise me where I stand.

can I request them to pay me my 11k as I paid for a service which they failed

I am very upset

How much will it cost to move?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Around 2000 pounds thats becoz the house i lived in had furniture and the house i found in emergency has no furniture or white goods. I move from tomorrow. I am also changing the kids school as i dont trust my ex, he couldv followed me. Also i have taken unpaid parental leave from work as no annual leave and i need to sort dentists doctors. To be on the safe side i am moving out of leicester as i am in fear i might have been watched and he knows what days i go where. Also after this news i ended up in hospital with chestpains. My solicitirs error has caused me stress distress and anxiety.
Is the solicitor that you deal with the head of department?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No the owner is a senior solicitor. My understanding is my solicitor works for her firm. My solicitor does charge me an hourly rate for her and my solicitor manges my case.
Have you spoken to the Complaints partner?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What is that???/who are they???
When you started with the firm did they give you details of how to complain?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No i have just looked at all the paperwork and everymonth when the statement of my bill is issued it just states complaint procedure if i am not happy with the bill. Would this be the complaint partner??
Have you still got the letter you were sent at the start of them acting for you - long letter with a lot of explanations about the firm
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no I never received anything like that

Did you not receive anything setting out what the charges would be?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes I did but that does not have any information on a complaint procedure or complaint partner it just gives information on the charges

You should have been given information right at the start about how to complain.
At this stage you should write to the Senior Partner detailing what has happened and what it has cost you.
You should point out that you were not given information about complaints handling at the start - and ask for their proposals for compensation
You can read more here
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the link you have provided states I can ring that number and find out who the complaint handler is for my solicitor firm. can I do that????

can I email my solicitor directly and ask for complaints procedure??

in regards ***** ***** due to the sensitive information they have disclosed in error can I request for my 11k that I have spent to be refunded and 2 k for my move as they did not do the job right, or am I entitled to more amount.

what compensation amount can I request because this is not minor error

also can I now tell them I no longer want them to continue representing me or do I have to wait for the complaint to be resolved.

I can not have this solicitor represent me anymore due to the stress and anxiety

this solicitor has hiven me a break down I have a hearing in april and I don't know how I am going to find another solicitor but I have no trust in this solicitor/firm

Yes you can indeed use that number
You cannot ask for the refund of the fees - you can ask for the amount it has cost you to move, and you can indeed look for another firm - you can find one on the website
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

how much compensation can I ask for??

the move cost me 2000.00 which I don't feel is sufficient compensation due to the stress anxiety and I think my main reason is because I feel I wont get a fair hearing now as his solicitor's argument is that he has behaved even though he has known my address since august.

how much compensation roughly would I be entitled to.

can I ask them due to me not recieveing a fair hearing they complete my case until april free of charge.

It is difficult to put a price on your anxiety and worry.
Certainly completing your case for nothing might be an option - if you trust them to do so