How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7660
Experience:  UK solicitor
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

if my son buys a house, in his own name, has all the bills

Customer Question

if my son buys a house, in his own name, has all the bills in his name. his girlfriend moves in, helps to pay the bills, ie, a monthly amount into an account. how does my son stand if they separate, is she entitled to half or anything?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your question.
1. Are there any children of the relationship?
2. Do they plan to marry?
3. Will she contribute more in rent/mortgage repayments than she otherwise would have paid if she was living in her own private rented accommodation?
4. Will she make capital repayments to pay off significant sums of the mortgage?
5. Will she pay for/carry out significant improvements to the property which improved the value of the property?
Kind regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1. no children

2. not at moment

3. no minimal payments, due to low income

4. no

5. no, my son will do that

Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
My answer assumes that she did not contribute any monies to the initial purchase of the property and that they shall remain unmarried.
The position is that where a person is not named on the registered title to a property then you can generally only claim an interest in the property if you have made either a capital contribution to it (ie. financing the purchase or pay for significant works which materially increase the value of the property) or have maintained the mortgage payments/paid rent or bills/food to a total that is more than you would otherwise have paid in private rented accommodation in the area.
Provided does not contribute more money in payment for outgoings than she would have otherwise paid in private rented accommodation for rent/bills/food and does not make improvements to the property which increases it’s market value then she would not be advised to make a claim against the property
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.


Is there any further information you require?

I just want to ensure that you are satisfied, so please let me know if you have any further queries on the information I have provided.

Kind regards,