How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34885
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My wife and I separated 2 years ago, I still live in the marital

This answer was rated:

My wife and I separated 2 years ago, I still live in the marital home, Iam 67 and my wife is 49. We have two grown up children, who do not live with me. I have a medical condition known as bi-polar. I am also retired and in reciept of state pension plus pension credit. The house is mortgage free, can my wife force me to sell my home?
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How much is the property worth and what income do you each have?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I do not know what my wifes income is. I receive £594 per month State pension inclusive of pension credit. The last valuation for the house was about 4 months ago and the valuation was £260,000.


How much does a one bedroom property in the same general area cost to buy?
How much did your ex earn when you last lived together?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

A one bedroom property would be approx 140,000. I think my wifes salary was £ 22400. per annum when we were together.

I am afraid that within the Divorce Proceedings your wife can indeed apply for an Order for the Sale of the Property and it is likely to be granted.
You may receive a larger share of the equity to ensure that you have sufficient funds to purchase another property.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you