How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35065
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

, my partner and I are getting married in September, both

This answer was rated:

Hello, my partner and I are getting married in September, both for the second time. We currently live together and have a joint mortgage of around £170,000. We share our income 50/50 and have a joint bank account. My partner has a 34 year old son from her previous marriage and I have a son and a daughter from mine. My partner announced last week that when her father dies she intends to give her entire share of her late fathers estate to her son. My widowed mother is 87 and lives in her own house which is worth about £120,000, she gas told me that she is leaving the house to me on her death. My question is twofold. Do I have any say in how my wife disposes of her legacy, and secondly, as I don't think it equitable for my inheritance to go towards our joint finances, how do I protect my position?
Thank you for your question.
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you
I am afraid that you have no say in what your wife does with her legacy - other than the usual influence spouses exert on each other
With regard to your inheritance when the time comes your options are
1. Give it to your daughter
2. Have a post nuptial agreement signed by both you and your wife confirming that she will make no claim on your inheritance
3. Keep the funds entirely separate and do not use it for any family expenditure at all
Please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you