How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35063
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

, I am living with my girl friend of 6 years in a rented

This answer was rated:

I am living with my girl friend of 6 years in a rented house. We have a 5 year old daughter and Leonie has a 9 year old from a previos relationship. If i was to take out a mortgage in just my name would leonie have a claim to it we should every separate ?
Thank you for your question.
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you
Assuming that she makes no financial contribution to the property then she will not have a financial claim on the property - however she could have a claim under Schedule 1 of the Children Act for the right to live in the property (without you) until your daughter is 18
Please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you