How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34902
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

A house was brought years before marriage between a father

Customer Question

A house was brought years before marriage between a father and son. Father paid the whole deposit. House mortgage in both father and sons name. House has been let to tenents ever since brought. Son later got married and now getting divorced. Is his wife entitled to this house. Which was purchased via mortgage premarriage.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
The son's interest in the property does form part of the Matrimonial Assets for consideration by the court.
However the fact that the ownership predates the marriage, and that the asset has always been entirely separate, plus the fact that the deposit was paid by the father makes it highly unlikely that the Family Court will in fact give the wife any share of the asset - unless there are insufficient other assets from which to meet the wife's reasonable needs
Please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

When and how does one go about starting divorce proceedings

Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
This is slightly different question, and accordingly I am afraid that the rules of the site mean that it has to be asked as a separate thread.
When doing so please let me have details of the reasons for the breakdown of the marriage