How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35042
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I am having issues with the mother of my grandson who is 4

Customer Question

I am having issues with the mother of my grandson who is 4 years old. I have been looking after him since he literally born every week for around nearly 3 years, 2 days a week domes 3.
She split up with my son the father of the child and soon after, one day she came and took her him away from me when I babysitting him. A year and a half later I am fighting to see my grandchild and I'm only seeing him for only 2 hours every couple months in a shopping center.
It is not right how she it's treated me I had sacraficed my work life by changing my days and hours at work which I cannot change again.
My son who is the father is hopeless he keeps saying he has gone to citizens advice and he is sorting out but this has been months now and he claims he is waiting for a court date.
Is there anything such as grandparents rights law that I can use in the UK so I can see my grandson properly and in a regular basis instead of just every few weeks in a dam shopping center.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Have you spoken to her directly about having more contact?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi yes but she is refusing she is saying that she doesn't want my son (her ex) to see him at the house. I already told her that is fine but she is all funny about it.
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Grandparents have no automatic right to even apply to the court for contact
HOWEVER you can ask the court for permission to apply for contact - and given the close relationship between you and the child not only will you be given permission - but you have a good chance of getting an Order for regular contact.
Your starting point however is to attend a Mediation Information and Assessment meeting with a family mediator
Please ask if you need further details