How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7676
Experience:  UK solicitor
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

Do I have to give my unemployed boyfriend anything to leave

This answer was rated:

Do I have to give my unemployed boyfriend anything to leave my house, he's lived with me for 3 years and never contributed a penny?
Thanks for your question.
Are there any children of the relationship?
Did he pay for/carry out significant improvements to the property which improved the value of the property?
Kind regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Tom

No children. He's never paid for anything in the property or carried out any work or improvements.

Kind Regards


Hi Cindy
Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
My answer assumes that he did not contribute any monies to the initial purchase of the property and that you are unmarried.
The position is that where a person is not named on the registered title to a property then you can generally only claim an interest in the property if you have made either a capital contribution to it (ie. financing the purchase or pay for significant works which materially increase the value of the property) or have maintained the mortgage payments/paid rent or bills/food to a total that is more than you would otherwise have paid in private rented accommodation in the area.
Therefore if he has not contribute any money to the property and has not carried out any improvement then he will not be able to claim against the property.
If he does not have any agreement about the terms of his occupation then he will be regarded as an “excluded occupier”, which means that he does not have many rights. One right that he does have is to receive reasonable written notice of eviction. So, I would think that if you served 6-8 weeks notice on him the you would be able to evict him thereafter.
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Thomas and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you