How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 12187
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor. Partner in own firm.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

friends of my dead brother maliciously claim he had a child

This answer was rated:

friends of my dead brother maliciously claim he had a child in thailand and this has prevented settlement of his estate in scotland as he was divorced and had no children and left no will - what is the standard
of proof for an heir, bond of caution cannot be obtained
Thank you for your question.
The executor has to make reasonable enquiries. However, my way of dealing with this situation is to take out a missing beneficiaries policy which allows the estate to be completed yet leaves insurance cover in place in case any child turns up in the 20 year period from the date of death.
The solicitor should know this.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you