How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34885
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My sons little boy lives in England with his mother (sons ex)

Customer Question

My sons little boy lives in England with his mother (sons ex) my son lives in Scotland. The ex is threatening that she will stop all access with his son and my son is willing to go to court over custody. He is getting married in 4 weeks and is worried that his little boy will not be able to be there. Does he have any rights to ensure that his child will be there on his wedding day?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
What is the current pattern of contact and why is his ex now saying this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Clare
He stays with my son during the school holidays and every 2/3 weekends or so. She is saying this now because someone reported her to social services for something and she thinks it's someone in Scotland who has been the reporter. She is angry and lashing out.
My son travels about 200 miles to collect his son and bring him to Scotland then travels back to drop him off again, every time.
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
The law says that a child is entitled to contact with both parents and the courts will enforce this
If your son has been having regular contact until now then it is likely that this will be continued by the court.
Whether this can be sorted in time for the Wedding is harder to say.
Your son needs to make an Urgent appointment with a Family Mediator
Even if his ex will not co-operate this will give your son the form she needs to make an application to the Court for an urgent Specific Issue Order regarding the wedding and a Child Arrangement Order ro protect the general contact
Please ask if you need further details