How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34893
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I have a 3 yr old son, his father has access to see him

Customer Question

Hi I have a 3 yr old son, his father has access to see him twice a week that is in a court order wed 12 to 5
sat 10 to 5 plus an overnight every second saturday, he has just started work in november for the first time since my son was born he tells me he has to work shifts but will not give me his shift patten, this is affecting my sons access days and i cannot believe his father is telling me the correct information about his work rota so my question is would i be allowed to find out from the prison service what his rotas are as it is for the welfare of my son for me to know his father is there to look after him
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How is the shift pattern effecting Contact?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

His shifts are happening on a weekend and he is missing overnights he has just missed a solid month and I'm not sure as to weather he is using work as an excuse to miss contact.

Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Does he ask for alternative contact at other time?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Sadly you cannot force him to have contact if he does not wish to - and you cannot ask the Prison Service for details of his employment
If he was asking for alternative contact instead of the set times then it would be reasonable for you to ask for evidence of the shifts - but since he is not then sadly there is nothing that you can do
Obviously if in future he wishes to resume weekends it would also be reasonable to ask for evidence that the recent problems were work related
Please ask if you need further details