How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35073
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

In the Questionnaire process regarding a variation application,

This answer was rated:

In the Questionnaire process regarding a variation application, my exwifes solicitors ask me to produce the bank statements of an account held in the sole name of my partner. We are not married but about to live together.
Do I need to produce these statements? They seem to pertain to the financial situation of someone who is not party to the proceedings
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Have you paid any money to your partner?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have gifted her money

So they wish to have evidence that the amount you have admitted to is the full extent of the gifts.
In those circumstances it is a reasonable request and one that a Court would support - although your partner is entitled to redact the statements to remove personal details of expenditure
However your partner is not a party to the proceedings and cannot be force to produce the document unless she is joined into the proceedings formally.
However instead the court can simply assume that you have given her more cash than you admit
Please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I provided already my bank account statements that show the transfers to her.

Shouldnt that suffice?

It should - unless they are arguing that it was then transferred into an asset which i you have a claim on
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you