How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35077
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My partner bought a house in her sole name. I made certain

This answer was rated:

My partner bought a house in her sole name. I made certain financial contributions in the form of gifts and do not claim or want any beneficial ownership.
My ex-wife is trying to establish that I do have beneficial ownership just by virtue of me sending money to my partner.
Does she have a case? What docs can I sign to make very clear that I do not have an interest or claim and that all amounts should be deemed gifts?
Thank you for your question.
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you
The simple fact is that you DO have a potential claim whether or not you wish to take the claim up.
The real issue is what relevance this is to the case being considered by the court - which is about a downward variation of maintenance and not a capital settlement
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

how could her solicitors build an argument to make this part of the case (you are right in that it is not about capital, which was settled before in the consent order)

The only argument I can see is that they will say that in fact your income has not decreased at all - you have simply decided to give some of your capital away in an attempt to minimise your liability to your ex
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you