How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35059
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Good morning,I am a married man of 13 years with an eleven

This answer was rated:

Good morning,
I am a married man of 13 years with an eleven year old daughter. My wife and I haven't been seeing eye to eye for many years, and have effectively not have had an intimate relationship for around 5 years. Last year I had enough, and found another woman, beginning an "affair" with her, although I didn't it consider it as one, given the state of my marriage. However, being careless, my wife found out and read several emails that we had exchanged, and saved them to her own account. She is now threatening me with sole custody. If I wish to divorce, how will this situation affect me, vis-a-vis my daughter, should we end up in front of a judge?
Many thanks in advance.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Which part of the Uk are you in?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Good morning Clare,

I am in Leicester right now.


In the Uk the law states that a child is entitled to contact with both parents and the courts will enforce this if necessary
At 13 it will be up to your daughter what time she spends with each of you - and you will of course retain Parental Responsibility and the right to be involved in all aspects of your daughters life
I hope that this is of assistance- please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you