How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35044
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I made a number of financial gifts to my girlfriend. I want

This answer was rated:

I made a number of financial gifts to my girlfriend.
I want to make sure that these are seen as gifts - and not, for example, as contributions to her buying a house which would then allow my ex-wife to claim that I have a beneficial interest
How do I formally document the gifts as 'true gifts'?
Thank you for your question.
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you
I am afraid that there is no way of doing this effectively
No matter what documentation you produce your ex will make the claim - it will then be up to the court t decide whether or not that is relevant to the case
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What are the best doc options (as opposed to none)?

Your best option is a Statutory Declaration confirming that the money is an unconditional gift from you to her