How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34885
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My wife and I share weekends to the children weekends.

This answer was rated:

My wife and I share weekends for access to the children weekends. She is not allowing me to see them on my allocated weekends. There is no order in place regarding access rights.
We are in the process of getting divorced. Do I have any rights to access.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How old are the children and why has your ex suddenly changed the arrangements?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The children are 12 and 14 years. This particular weekend as you know is mothers day and she wants them there on Sunday. it is my birthday on Saturday but she has already informed my son he is not coming to me.

This is not the first time this has happened but with it being my birthday I have had enough.

How often has it actually happened?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

\\\\\it happens whenever there is a Birthday in her family and they go for a meal. Sometimes I have collected the children on Friday evening and she has demanded they be returned because there is a family function.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
i have been waiting 4 hours and still no answer
My apologies for the delay.
The law says that children have the right to contact with both parents and the courts will enforce this if necessary.
Neither you not your ex has more right than the other to decide what the contact should be - or to make changes to the pattern for family events on either side
Given their ages it is in fact up to your children how they wish to share their time between you!
The starting point is to try and discuss matters with your ex using Family Mediation and an mediator trained to work with young people
If that fails and your ex will not respect the expressed wishes of the children then you will need to make an application to the court
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you