How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35042
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I left my mentally unstable husband of 30 years in June 2013

This answer was rated:

I left my mentally unstable husband of 30 years in June 2013 after years of putting up with paranoid jealousy and controlling tendencies, and only took my personal belongings with me. After several disturbing incidents including stalking, unwanted notes, waiting for me in the dark etc. I eventually called the police to prevent his fourth suicide attempt but still have not prosecuted as I know he needs professional help but refuses to accept that he has a problem. He is now threatening to bankrupt me by suing me for half the rental and council tax and half of an inheritance from my mother (which was my means of escape) can he do this or is it yet another rant to deal with?
Thank you for your question.
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you
Your suspicion is correct - it is just another rant to deal with.
Assuming that you are no longer living in the property he can not claim any of the rent from you and the only proceedings within which he could try and claim any part of your inheritance would be within the financial side of divorce proceedings
(and even then it is unlikely he would succeed)
Please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you