How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34885
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

can my ex partner move away (5 hours) with my son after we

Customer Question

can my ex partner move away (5 hours) with my son after we have verbally agreed shared care and not to move more than half an hour away. My partner looks after him Mon, Tues & Weds and I look after him every Thurs & Fri then we alternate weekends. This arrangement has been in place since our split at the end of May 2014. We do not have any formal custody arrangement only what has been verbally agreed and been in place since we split. I pay my ex £300 per month towards care for my son as has him one extra day in the week.
Hopefully you can help.
Many thanks
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How old is your son and when is the move planned for?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My son is 7 turning 8 in April. There is no date set for move.

Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
In view of the Shared Care arrangement if your ex wishes to move away she will need either your agreement or an order from the court
If she does indicate that she is making real plans to move then you may need to apply for a Prohibited Steps Order to prevent it whilst the court decides what shoudl happen in the long term
Without an overwhelmingly good reason for the move it is unlikely that the court will agree it.
Please ask if you need further details