How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35058
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

i have separated from my wife. we have 2 children under 16

This answer was rated:

i have separated from my wife. we have 2 children under 16 and a joint mortgage. I am the main wage earner and currently pay the mortgage and other bills. I am happy to support my children but financially the house reduces my ability to support maintenance as the mortgage is quite large
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
What other assets and debts are there and what income do you each have?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Clare,

the house is worth £430k with an outstanding mortgage of £155k approx.

Monthly payment is £1100.

My salary is £55k and my ex works part time so would struggle to gross more than £10k per annum i would imagine.

She receives Disability living allowance and carers allowance to the tune of £700 per month along with child benefit and tax credits etc.

We both own cars which have i have outstanding HP on mine but hers is paid for.

No other assets to speak of.


Why does she receive DLA and carers allowance
How much would a cheaper three bedroom property in the same school area cost to buy?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My son has a diagnosis of Aspergers syndrome since 4 years old and will be 16 this year.

He is in full time education but gets assisted learning at school.

A 3 bed property would cost anything from 230k to 350k.

I have suggested that i would be happy to give her all the equity in the house so she would be virtually mortgage free but have not committed to anything!!

Since a sale of the property would still give your ex sufficient funds to purchase a home for herself and the children then it is likely that it will be ordered - but she woudl receive all the proceeds of sale - at least until the youngest child is 18 - or permanently if she for goes any spouse maintenance.
You will be responsible for child maintenance at 16% of your gross income.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you