How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34906
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

HiMy ex-husband is self employed, he is aways reluctant

Customer Question

My ex-husband is self employed, he is aways reluctant to produce his accounts to prove his earnings. He now just provides a PDDF copy of the front page blanking out all the workings. When pushed he has emailed parts of the accounts as he claims the rest is confidential.
I believe he is doing something in his accounts, probably paying someone else to reduce his net income.
Can I legally ask to see the full workings out of his accounts?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Is there a Court Order that states he needs to update you on his earnings?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


No, just the standard CSA formula.


Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Have you considered actually involving the CMS (new CSA)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Maybe we will, but I just wanted to know if he could with hold the detail and just tell me what his net is blanking out all the workings out. I believe he is hiding something he is so determined.

Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
I suspect that you are correct but unless there is a Court Order that he produces his full accounts; or his tax returns then there is nothing you can do to force him to do so
If he is a Registered Company then you can access the records via Company House, but if he is just a sole trader then I am afraid that he cannot be made to give them to you
Please ask if you need further details