How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34887
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My husband has left me with all the bills and is refusing to

This answer was rated:

My husband has left me with all the bills and is refusing to give me any money, after our recent separation. We have three children but only one is under 18 years and just about to start his GCSEs. He feels no responsibility towards us after 22 years of marriage and his parents appear to condone his attitude! I am at my wits end as to how I can continue providing on my own and would like to know what my legal rights are. I am at present living with my parents, who have been financially helping me out.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
What has happened to the matrimonial home, what other assets are there and what income does your husband have?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We rented a house, never owned. No assets apart from furniture and usual household goods which I have in storage at the moment.

My Husband has a military pension, trying to claim a war pension too, but won't know of any official outcome of that if any.

Income wise I really do not know. He is living at the other end of the country to me now, so I cannot be sure whether he is or isn't in work. Being the way he is, I don't think he'd be truthful about what he was earning anyway.

Having been married for such a long time and him being the main bread winner while I brought up the kids and supported him through his military career, I would like to know what I am entitled to.

I have tried to talk to him, but he just said why does he need to transfer me any money and unless it is important, to leave him alone and move on!

Not nice to hear after 22 years of marriage.

How much is his pension and are you willing to start divorce proceedings?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'm not 100% sure what his pension is, somewhere in the region of £10,000-£12,000 per year I think.
I'm not sure if I'm ready to start divorce proceedings just yet, but possibly in the future, yes.
Just to check - how old are the older children and where are they?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
19 and 21. Both are at university and come home during holidays.
You are entitled to child maintenance for your youngest child and should apply to the CMS if your ex will not make payments.
At the very least you will receive 12% of his pension as child maintenance
When you are ready to start the divorce proceedings you will be able to apply for a pension sharing Order and also possibly spouse maintenance
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you