How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35047
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

, 2 years ago I married and move to my husbands town because

This answer was rated:

Hello, 2 years ago I married and move to my husbands town because he want to live close to his son who live with his mother. I left my job i give my house to rent. Also I move far away from my son who sturdy in university now 5 hours away from me and whom I need support. Also I have to left my job when I move. Unfortunately 3 month after we married my mother past away. I feel very down to find a job. For the moment I not working. My husband had 2 property abroad and 3 in UK but with very small deposits. Also he have got office which he want to transfer to 6 houses. He have to borough lots of money from bank to build this houses, if we build them we will receive about 250 thousands pounds. All his property's he bought before he met me and all of them only in his name. About £800 000 equity all together. My house only in my name and only £90 000 equity. For the moment we live in one of my husband houses which belong to my husbands ex-girlfriend is well, for the moment he trying to take this house from her. My husband start persuade me to move to one of his offices or moto home to start build houses for 1 year. For the moment we had a very difficult time, some-times he threaten me to divorce me. Could you please let me know if he will start a divorce do I have to live his house? Do I will be entitled to any support from my husband?Do I will be entitled to anything from my husband? If I start working do I will be entitled to anything from my husband? If we will be divorce in 2 years after we build 6 houses together but they will be only in his name, do I and my son( now 23) will be entitled to anything? What will be happen to my own house? My husband stop give me any money now and pushing me to find a job. Shall I move to offices or better stay in this house?
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Do you wish to remain married to your husband?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Clare, thank you very much for your respond!I am not sure for the moment if we going to stay together, my husband want everything only his way if I disagree about something he threaten to divorce me. He could divorce me any time, now or after 2 or maybe after 5 years. That I want to know in advance my legal rights. I don't want divorce my husband for many reasons, one of them I don't want let down my son and my family. Could you please let me know what is my legal rights if he will divorce me right now, what is my legal rights if he will divorce me in 2 years when I will be live in his office and he will be build houses from this office, what is my legal rights if he divorce me after he finish build houses but he don't want put my name on deed. After 2 years he want to move to live permanently abroad he want me to move with him and buy house together there but he want me to contribute towards house abroad. Also I want to sell my house in uk and buy one for my son on his name, because he have nowhere to live after he finish university.What is my legal right if he divorce me after a few years, after we move abroad. Is he will be able to claim house from my son? Also could you let me know what will be happen if my husband past away, make a will before he met me where everything going to his son. And what will be happen if I past away and i don't have any will? Shall I make a will and what I suppose to write on it? Sorry about so many questions I just feel very insecure for the moment. Thank you very much fir you help in advance!

The simple fact is that the longer you are together the larger the claim that you will have on the joint assets.
At the moment you woudl have a relatively small capital claim to reflect the fact that you have given up your job and moved away to live with him - so maybe £50,000 out of his £800,000 assets - as well as you keeping your property.
If you are together for say 20 years then the division is 50/50 of all the assets.
In between there is a sliding scale
You are also entitled to spouse maintenance if you are unable to work for whatever reason
What you do now is entirely up to you and depends on whether this is really a relationship that you feel is good for you
Please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much for your help! Could you please answer one more question from my previous email. If we will divorce in 2-3 years, but I will transfer my own house to my son. Do I have legal rights to live in one of my husbands houses or I will be homeless?

Thank you very much!

You will be entitled to live in the matrimonial home so long as you are married.
You will also be entitled to a lump sum - but I am afraid the fact that you chose to give your property away will not entitle you to any extra provision from your husband
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Clare, thank you very much for your help! I did ask you in my previous email about the will, could you please let me know if I will be entitled to anything from my husband( property, life insurance, pensions) in case my husband past away, he made a will before we met where he leave everything to his son.

Thank you very much in advance!

You will certainly have a claim on his estate of he dies without making proper provision for you
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you