How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34886
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

, separated 2 years ago, we have 2 children. I have them

Customer Question

Hi, separated 2 years ago, we have 2 children. I have them every Wednesday from school, they stay the night with me then i take them to school Thursday morning. I also have them every other weekend from 2pm Saturday till 6pm Sunday evening.
The problem I am having is, when we disagree on something, she says i cant see the children any more and then i can again, she is messing me and the children around.
So now i have stopped seeing the children to stop being messed about.
Please help, what can i do? Is a court order the best option ? and what will it cost me?
Thank you
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How old are the children and do you have extra time in the school holidays?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Daughter is 10, Son is 7. No i dont have extra time in the holidays although we have spoke about it.

Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
the law says that children are entitled to spend time with both parents and the courts will enforce this if necessary
Neither parent has the right to dictate how much time the children spend with the other parent - it is something to be negotiated using Family mediation if necessary
At mediation you may wish to try and extend the weekend time and also to arrange to have then for half of the school holidays
If mediation fails then you will have no option but to apply to the court for a Child Arrangement Order setting out the time they spend with each of you which can be enforced if necessary
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, Thank you for your answer, I have had look through your link and taken some phone numbers. If we reach an agreement can this be made in to a legal document ? Could you tell me about how many sessions we might need and a rough cost please ?

Thank you


Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Hi Russell
Yes an agreement can be turned into a Consent Order and sealed by the court so that it is enforceable.
I am afraid that you are in a better place than I to guess how long it will take your ex to be realistic!