How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34898
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

our family home is in joint names - mine and my husbands.

This answer was rated:

our family home is in joint names - mine and my husbands. we have four children living with us aged upwards of 24 years. our marriage is on its way out and I want to leave - can I force him to sell the house and give me half?
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
What other assets are there and what income do you each have?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There is no outstanding mortgage on the house and the house is probably worth about £190,000.

We have just the usual assets - contents of the house and we both have cars. He owns a property in Pakistan worth about £80000, where his second wife lives. I have a half share (with my sister) in a house that was my parents which we have been unable to sell - value £50000.

I am retired and get state pension + a small NHS pension probably about £900 per month total, he is a self employed private hire driver whose income fluctuates but he usually banks about £12 - 1300 per month.

Do you intend to issue divorce proceedings?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

probably not

You can indeed force a sale of the property.
You can use Property Law to call for a sale using the Trusts of Land and Appointment of Trustees Act.
This is likely to be successful - but there can only be a 50/50 division of the equity.
If instead you issue divorce proceedings then within the financial side of the divorce then the Family court has wider powers to re-distribute the assets in any way that they consider fit - which could mean you getting a larger share.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you