How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Mather Your Own Question
James Mather
James Mather,
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1390
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
James Mather is online now

Me and my husband was only married in sep 2014 since nov 2014

Customer Question

Me and my husband was only married in sep 2014 since nov 2014 we have been separated. Since meeting him ive been suffering from seizures due to mental stress and the police are involved.  Him and his family basically deserted me without any financial support even though he knew I had lost my previous job due to the seizures and hospital appointments.  He kept shutting me out refusing to talk to me and to see me having full control over the whole situation.  His background is muslim and I am Catholic.  In January he wanted us to try and reconcile so he told me to try and patch things up with his parents.  Once I tried to talk to his parents he then changed his mind again. Then there was no contact. This week I received a letter from a solicitor which I know is a family member from his side. He is claiming unreasonable behaviour on my side only because I wanted to go out for a few hours with him after work so that me and him could get some alone time as we were living with his family. The letter is asking for me to pay for half his legal costs even though he is the one who wants a divorce.  Which I don't believe I should have to pay.  Also it states that he cant file for a divorce yet as we've not been married a year. I need to know what I can do now.  Also I feel that this letter was not done professionally as it was sent in normal post and delivered to the wrong address. Do I need to pay any of his legal costs and what can I do now.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Do you wish there to be a divorce to end the marriage?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.


I wanted us to try counselling or something to get him help as he has serious trust Issues. But he hasn't given us a chance and has been very childish. If he wants a divorce I feel like I have no choice but to give it to him as he's asking for the divorce as I don't want to be dragged to court etc. I do question the authenticity of the solicitors letter as its from his relative who is a solicitor.

Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
Does the letter actually set out the allegations that he will rely on?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It says he could not find any other grounds apart from unreasonable behaviour. This is because he has no real reason for the divorce. The letter states he wants half of his costs for filing. It will only be a year in sept since we married so don't understand what costs he is even trying to claim. The letter probably didn't cost him anything as its his own family solicitor.

Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
Does it actually give any details about what he will say?