How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34886
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

, i'm thinking about my girlfriend moving into my house

This answer was rated:

Hello, i'm thinking about my girlfriend moving into my house with her 2 young kids, where do i stand legally if things don't work out? would my house be at risk?
Many thanks, John
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Will she be making and financial contribution to the property and is it likely you will have further children together?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Clare, I will continue to pay the mortgage solely along with the bills, i would imagine contributions would be received regarding day to day living and food bills. And no plans to have children together at this stage,

Kind regards, John

provided your partner makes no financial contribution to the Structure of the property - by paying the mortgage or for any structural improvements or alterations AND you never promise that the house is half hers then she will not acquire a financial interest in the property
You will be able to ask her to leave provided you give her reasonable notice (two months given the children)
All of this changes if you marry or have children together.
It woudl be sensible to have a Cohabitation Agreement drawn up so that you both know what the position is
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Clare, Thank you for your reply. Would you be kind enough to clarify this point? i wasn't aware that a 'promise' would hold water in court, say for instance i say i never promised, but she says i did, who would the judge believe?

Would it also be ok for me to accept contributions for household bills, council tax, gas etc?

Kind regards,


It is fine to accept contributions to the bills - although it is best to be clear about what she is paying.
The Promise part is just a warning if you understand me.
If it is just between the pair of you then as yo say it is unlikely to be taken seriously.
If you say it in front of other people, or induce her to pay for something (say solar panels) then there could be a problem
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you