How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35046
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

A friend of mine is away at the moment he has just had a text

This answer was rated:

A friend of mine is away at the moment he has just had a text from his girl friend to say she has chucked him out. He lives in rented accomodation in joint names and they have a daughter. Can she stop him going home. She says she will call the police if he does. What are his rights he doesn't want to cause trouble.
Thank you
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How old is the child and when does the tenancy end?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
There daughter is 19 months and the tenancy ends in November.
Has she said how he is meant to collect his belongings
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Apparently she's put his clothes in a bag in the garage for him to collect. But he owns all the furniture which he had before he met her and he pays the rent.
How much furniture is there and what has she said about the rent?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It's a 2 bed house so sofa living room units table chairs large TV king size bed and bedroom furniture. She didn't bring any furniture to the house.
She hasn't mentioned the rent yet it's only just happened. He only wants a rough idea of his rights. Can she stop him coming home, keep furniture etc.
Your friend is entitled to return to the property if he wishes unless his girlfriend obtains an Order excluding him - usually as a result of making allegations that he is violent.
If your friend returns to the property he must be exceptionally careful to not allow her to provoke him into any thing that can be interpreted as violence as she will then call the police.
With regard to the furniture the problem is that the child needs a home around her to some things may have to be left for the time being
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you