How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35073
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I had left my home and children in 2012 and filed divorce

Customer Question

I had left my home and children in 2012 and filed for a divorce on my husband on unreasonable grounds. The divorce has come through in Oct 2013. I am finding that I have limited access to my 16 and 14 year old children - 2 nights every second weekend and 2 hours on a Thursday evening.
What are my rights as a mother?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Are the children happy with the Contact arrangements?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Clare,

They are so influenced by their Dad that they seem to think that the arrangement is set in stone and they will not go against him.

I am not sure if they are happy with the contact arrangements.


Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Contact is the right of the children and not the adults
The court cannot make any orders for contact with respect to the 16 year old - who is free to make whatever arrangements he or she wishes for contact with you.
The Court could make an order in respect of the 14 year old - but is unlikely to force a pattern of contact that the 14 year old does not want.
Your starting point is to try and discuss contact with your ex using Family Mediation
and use a mediator trained to work with young people so that your children have the chance to express themselves
if that fails it woudl be unwise to chose to take the matter to court unless you are certain that the younger child wants more contact
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details