How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35044
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now
Family Law
This answer was rated:

I plan to separate from my partner. We have been together for

over 20 years. We have... Show More
over 20 years. We have a house in both our names. We have one child who will be 18 in June and off to univercity in September.mwe all currently live in the house. I work full time as a nurse. In July my partner will have been unemployed for three years. This is the third occasion since we have had the house that he will have been out of work. I pay most of the bills including the mortgage and feel the relationship has come to an end. What legal steps do I need to take to move this forwarrd.
***** *****
Show Less
Ask Your Own Family Law Question
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
Please confirm that you are not married to each other?
Customer reply replied 3 years ago.

Hi Clare, sorry about the delay getting back to you.

The house is worth about £400.00. We currently have an interest only mortgage. I have contacted the mortgage company to ask for a redemption statement, so that I can assess how much is outstanding.

I can confirm that we are not married to each other.



Best guess on what might be outstanding, are there any other assets held jointly?
Customer reply replied 3 years ago.

Hi Calre

I am not sure on the outstanding amount. The house has been increasing in value so possibly £200,000. The house is approximately £400,000.00, not £400.00.

There are no other joint asssets.



Do you wish to force the sale of the property or is there a realistic chance that you can buy him out?
Customer reply replied 3 years ago.

Hi Clare.

I am not sure if I could buy him out. I had thought about it but this is quite a large property.

I think I would prefer to sell the property and at some point enter into a shared ownership 2 bed flat for me and my son. As a key worker I should be able to get a property. I have been to a shared ownership exhibition with my son to get information on this.



In that case the matter is relatively straightforward.
If your ex will not agree to the sale of the property then you can apply to the court for an Order for Sale which WILL be granted
The starting point is to try and discuss matters with him using Family mediation
Please ask if you need further details
Customer reply replied 3 years ago.

Hi Clare

Thank you for all your advice. I have contacted our local mediation service and have booked an appointment for both of us. My partner has agreed to attend this appointment.

its good to know I am going about this separation the right way

Best wishes


You are most welcome - I hope that all goes as well as it can