How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35057
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

, my husband and I divorced in 2001, at the time, we had

This answer was rated:

Hi, my husband and I divorced in 2001, at the time, we had an amicable relationship and he was still being a good father to our 2 young children...I agreed at the time not to take half his pension against the advice of my solicitor. In 2004 he met a woman who lived abroad and stopped seeing the children on the regular basis he had agreed to. In 2006, he moved abroad, so all the agreements we had with the children...which I considered the most important were no longer valid. He has maintained regular maintenance payments and sparse contact with his children, but I feel he broke his side of the contract and was not consistent regarding seeing his children. Now I'm thinking about future grand children he won't be bothered about there any way you can change a financial agreement?
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Can I assume that the agreement was set out in a Consent Order which was sealed by the Court?
Customer: replied 3 years ago. was a settlement which meant my husband paid off the mortgage of £100.000 and kept on (lived in) another property we owned together which was then put in his name only as this property had collateral of around £50.000 at the time.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sadly the grounds one which you can challenge a Consent Order are very very limited - usually the fact that assets had been hidden.
I am afraid that there is no basis on which you can now change the financial arrangements
You can only hold on to the fact that it is in the end his loss.
Sorry to give bad news - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you