How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 12199
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor. Partner in own firm.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I was married in Scotland and have been living separately from

This answer was rated:

I was married in Scotland and have been living separately from my husband for 5 years and he is refusing to agree to divorce. We still own a property in Scotland but we have not lived in it together for over 5 years. The house is in my name and is for sale. What are my options?
Thank you for your question.
Where do each of you stay, Scotland or where?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am Maltese and returned back to Malta in August 2008 and since then we have lived apart. I have no address of where he is living but has spent the past 3 years in Dubai.

I have to advise you that Scotland has no jurisdiction in relation to divorce or family law matters.
You can sell the house. Whether your husband has a claim or whatever your legal position is from a matrimonial point of view would have to be determined in another country.
Happy to discuss further.
JGM and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you