How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34897
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Clare. I've been married 13 years and we have been together

This answer was rated:

Hi Clare. I've been married 13 years and we have been together 17. She had two children from previous relastionhip which I have brought up as my own. In 2004 we had a little boy of our own. in november 2013 she had a one night stand which I found out about a year later, but after the one night stand everything changed between up. She treated everyone in the house appallingly and then in July 2014 she decided it was over between us. She had started a new job in the feb 2013 which meant I took over all the child care and running of the house. in Jan 2014 after a major agurment she left and moved in with her sister leaving me and two of the children in the house alone. then In july 2014 she moved back in to look after the dog when we went on holiday. And didn't leave again until we sold the house in dec 2014. Since then she has been living with her daughter. and has not paid anthing toward the children since then or before really. She still has the child allowence in her name and I dont received that. What i really want to know is my right as a father. She's changed her job so that she does seven days on and then seven days off. The seven days off she wants to have the youngest child. She will be in a one bedroom flat and she has just admited that she is seeing someone. What right do I have for full custody as I've been the main care giver for the last three years. Also just a little more back ground even the son that not my blood live with me because of the way his mother treated him and the rest of us. He 18 so i need no advice about him? Thank you in advance
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
What contact does the youngest child currently have with his mother?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Currently she has him at her daughter every other week. She pick him up on Friday night and returns him Sunday evening
Does the boy want to have any more contact with his mother than he does at present?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He say no. He happy with just that weekend every two weeks
There is no longer any concept of Custody or even residence in Family law.
The issue is how the care of the child should be shared between the parents.
Parents are expected to try and agree it between them using Family mediation if necessary
If that fails then the courts can be invited to make a Child Arrangement Order dealing with the matter
In your case given his age it will be your son's wishes that determine the matter - so ensure that the mediator you use is trained to work with young people
You have little to fear - her proposal is simply not realistic
Please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you