How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35065
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

me and my husband split up in December I have the children

This answer was rated:

Hi me and my husband split up in December I have the children only one is still in education . He pays the mortgage and a few bills he says he won't pay for my youngest as he's paying out enough at the moment . Just wondered can he do that ..
Thanks Lisa
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Does your ex live away from the matrimonial home?
How much is he paying into the household?
How much does he earn?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi clare

Yes he moved out in December and moved back into his parents house .

He pays the mortgage,gas,electric, but nothing for his kids .

£380 a week .


How much do those bills amount to in total?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


About £800 a month


How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
What income do you have?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


140,00 it's up for sale at the moment and 80,00 is outstanding. .

I didn't work but since Jan I've had to go back to work I only work 16 hours a week


Since he is no longer living at the property your ex is not expected to pay any of the bills - and indeed you would struggle to get a court to insist that he pays all the mortgage
On that basis he is already paying much more than he woudl have to by way of Child Maintenance - or even Child and spouse maintenance combined
However the issue of what happens when the property is sold - and where you and the child will live does need to discussed
This should be discussed with your ex using Family mediation
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you