How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35042
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My son and our family would like reasonable access to his 1year

This answer was rated:

My son and our family would like reasonable access to his 1year old daughter/granddaughter. At the present moment in time he gets access of approximately 1hrs on a Friday after he has finished work....she sleeps overnight then her mother collects her at 8 the next morning as my son is at work at 7 o'clock, myself and my husband are not allowed to have her either. My son Dean would like to be more involved in her upbringing and to spend more time with her. We only get to see her when it's convenient for her and if she's going out. We used to help out with my Granddaughters child care when she was younger but she won't allow us anytime with her now...we're all heart broken and to our knowledge haven't done anything wrong we just want to help. She says it's up to her when my son can see her because she is the mother, but sometimes she says she can have her for the day then goes back on her word! We are so frustrated we don't want to start a war and be at loggerheads. Please can you give us some advice as to where we stand legally. My son's name is ***** ***** birth certificate and he pays csa. Thank you for your time...
Carolyn Firman
Thank you for your question.
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you
The law says that a child is entitled to contact with both parents and the courts will enforce this if necessary.
His ex is wrong - she has no ,ore right to dictate the pattern of contact that your son does,
As parents they are expected to agreed a patter that worked for the child using Family mediation
If no agreement can be reached then your son can apply to the court - and there is no reason why he should not ask for alternate weekends Friday to Monday since it is clear that she is used to spending the night anyway - plus longer times at holiday times.
Your son can read more here
the starting point is for your son to arrange to see a local Family mediator and start the process.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you