How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35071
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I am winding up our financial affairs during our divorce.

This answer was rated:

I am winding up our financial affairs during our divorce. My husband has not contributed to the house maintenance since I found out about his affairs. The house is now sold - I have to say I worked like a demon to get it ready for sale and due to my efforts it got a good price. Getting the house ready for sale and paying the various incurance policies over the last year has totted up to £5000. I doubt I will get back all of his share but of this £1500 is now overdrawn on our joint account. I could pay it off but I feel he should be liable for half. Is there any chance I can get him to pay his share? We've had to go to court all along to make his disclose his finances.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
What does the Court Order say about this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It was not covered. Only that the joint account should be closed.
Why can in not be deducted from the proceeds of sale?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes that sounds ideal - if the other side accepts it.

What would the best way of presenting this be?

Make a list of the payments I made, who to and the dates?

The starting point is to prepare a list of all the work that you paid for and sent it to his solicitors simply presenting this as part of the costs of sale.
You are not asking if he will pay half or seeking agreement - you are simply sending them the invoice and expecting payment!
Clare and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you