How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35068
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

What is the best route to gain contact with a child? The

This answer was rated:

What is the best route to gain contact with a child? The divorce was finalised 7 years ago and it has been 6 years since seeing the child. The child is now 14. The mother does not want to allow access. Should a letter be sent to the mother first or apply straight to the court and if so how?

Thank you for your question.
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you
Your starting point is to try and discuss matters using Family mediation
and a mediator trained to work with young people.
If your ex fails to co-operate then you can apply to the court for a Child Arrangement Order.
However you do need to be aware that it is your daughter's wishes that will decide the matter
Please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you