How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joshua Your Own Question
Joshua, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 26070
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Joshua is online now

If I set in place a power of attorney using Gov.Uk forms

This answer was rated:

If I set in place a power of attorney using Gov.Uk forms then register them, is this as satisfactory as going to a solicitor
Joshua :

Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.

Joshua :

May I clarify that this is a lasting (ie. permanent) power of attorney as opposed to a temporary power that you wish to put in place please?

Customer: Yes lasting power of attorney
Joshua :

Thanks. Yes providing you use the LPA prescribed forms which can be found using the below link and you follow the instructions or better still the online service then the end form is the same that you obtain from a solicitor:

Joshua :

It is important that you do spend a bit of time reading the instructions on the form to ensure everything is signed and dated by the correct people in the right place because an error can lead to rejection at registration. However the instructions are not complex, they are just slightly long winded

Joshua :

I typically have a colleague double check the form to ensure everything has been signed and dated because it is easy to miss something if you are in hurry.

Customer: Will this apply to both the financial lpa and a health and welfare lpa?
Joshua :

Yes but as you will know you need a separate form for health and welfare and property and affairs. It is not possible to create a joint form for both. Each form must be individually signed and registered separately

Customer: Yes I did know that. so I complete the forms and send them off for registration, presumably they are only registered if they are correct.
Customer: but they are as legal as going to a solicitors are they.
Joshua :

Exactly right. If they are wrong then as long as section A is correct, sections B and C can normally be amended to correct an error. If there is an error in section A (the part the donor signs) it will have to be redone and a new (reduced) registration fee paid for second registration. But providing it is right they are just as legal as the ones a solicitor produces.

Joshua :

Can I help you with anything else or has the above answered your questions satisfactorily?

Customer: Thank I am happy with your help
Joshua :

Glad I could be of assistance. Good luck with your drafting

Joshua and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you